Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Harry Nilsson - Coconut

OK, so let me first state that I believe most of Harry Nilsson's output is complete and utter genius - except possibly his cover of Badfinger's 'Without You' which was overblown to the max and responsible for most of the caterwauling on Pop/American Idol and their ilk. This little ditty, which funnily enough comes straight after 'Without You' on the 'Nilsson Schmilsson' album, always makes me smile. Plus it was used in a great Sesame Street sketch!

The odd performance comes from a BBC special I believe and there are rumours that one of the guys in the ape costumes is John Lennon. BTW, one of my fave albums when I was very small was Nilsson's 'The Point' which we had on 8-track. I was so upset when my parents replaced our 8-track machine with a cassette player but did not replace the album. I managed to find a copy on vinyl about 15 years ago and it just about made my year :-)


Bonus Clip: The Muppets' version


... and the entirety of the movie of 'The Point' featuring narration from Alan Thicks (this was the third telecast, the previous two had narration from Dustin Hoffman and Ringo Starr respectively). No idea how long this will last until it is taken down, so enjoy while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment