Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

Well, I promised you worse so here we go! I can't even tell you why I like this - my mum probably used to sing it to get me to sleep. I almost posted the original Lally Stott version of this for the innate oddness of the performer and the promo clip. However, this version by Middle of the Road from 1971 takes the Cheese Award and was a huge hit in Europe at the time (those in the US probably know the Mac & Katie Kissoon version better). Doesn't the drummer look like he can't believe he's playing on such dross? These days I do find the lyrics somewhat troublesome. I mean, where exactly has this kid been left while his parents have gone far, far away? That's what fatherhood does to you I guess...

Bonus Clips: Lally Stott's original from 1970...


... and Mac & Katie Kissoon, a brother-sister duo from Trinidad. This is also from 1971.

No comments:

Post a Comment