Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hot Butter - Popcorn

More than any other, this record started my interest in electronic music. There are allegedly over 500 different versions out there but this is still my fave - though now I think of it, I believe the version I had as a kid was a generic cover version from one of those very cheap 'Top Of The Pops' compilation albums with a scantily clad strumpet on the cover. Everything you could wish to know about this song (& more) can be found here.

Hot Butter were fronted by Stan Free who had been in The First Moog Quartet with the composer of Popcorn, Gershon Kingsley. His cover version was a worldwide hit in 1972.


Bonus Clips: Gershon Kingsley's version from his 1969 album Music to Moog By, as featured on Top of the Pops with the audience trying to work out how to dance to it...


... and THIS I believe is the version we had in the house at the time, from Top of the Tots also released in 1972.(Note: this is the entire album)

No comments:

Post a Comment