Thursday, June 11, 2009

Leo Sayer - The Show Must Go On

Probably best known for cheese such as 'You Make Me Feel Like Dancing' and 'When I Need You', Leo Sayer was actually critically-acclaimed when he hit the scene back in 1973 with this, his debut single. The fact that he dressed in full Pierrot get-up was more of a benefit than a hindrance back then! I've always liked this song, which he usually performed excellently live as this clip shows - even if the scat section goes slightly off the rails. Those in the US are probably more familiar with the pretty faithful Three Dog Night version. Leo always seems willing to poke fun at himself as shown by his appearances on The Muppet Show and his legendary rant at being denied clean underwear on Celebrity Big Brother, so good on you Leo...

Bonus Clips: My friend Ruth has kindly requested that I add 'When I Need You' so here it is - with added Muppets as it's about the only way I can stomach it at the mo :-) ...

... here's the cover by Three Dog Night from 1974. Note: they change the last line of the chorus to "I must let the show go on" which apparently Leo Sayer was not happy about...

... and let's finish with some more Muppets 'cos there should always be an excuse to post more Muppets!

No comments:

Post a Comment